Expressionism

Considering I am looking at emotions, I thought it would be a good idea to look at expressionism. I had seen some of Ernst Ludwig Kirchner before but hadn't looked at is landscapes. 

The piece bellow is one of the first I came across in this search. The colour is amazing and reminds me of the way I like to use colour. He has created a contrast using these as well as the use of light and dark. Although I felt initially comfortable with this piece, relaxed and calm, the more I look at it the more I feel a little uneasy. I think it is the contrast between the red sky and the blue mountains that makes me think that the scene is not as calm as we first thought. It steps towards the sublime for me. 

Image result for Ernst Ludwig Kirchner
Ernst Ludwig Kirchner

ERNST LUDWIG KIRCHNER (1880-1938) 'Davos under Snow', 1923 (oil on canvas)
Ernst Ludwig Kirchner (from here)


Francis Bacon is the main artist I have looked at before from the movement. I have previously looked at his work this year when I was experimenting with depicting my own emotion. 

The way which the marks have been made are what I find the  most interesting and captivating. They are very lose and create this sort of terror in the viewer. The choice of medium I also think creates this. In the piece bellow there is also a high contrast element and the vibrant orange to me seems distressing. 


Image result for francis bacon expressionism

Thinking back to my lose mark making when thinking about chaos, I am reminded of the work of Jackson Pollock and CY Twombly

Image result for jackson pollock
Jackson Pollock

Image result for cy twombly
CY Twombly

Comments

Popular Posts